2022 FINA WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Saturday’s opening session of pool swimming on the 2022 FINA World Aquatics Championships is full of veteran world file holders and rising stars alike in Budapest, Hungary. 5 of the 9 occasions featured on the primary day will forgo the semifinals and go straight to night finals the place medals can be awarded: the lads’s 400 free, ladies’s 400 free, males’s 400 IM, males’s 4 × 100 free relay, and girls’s 4 × 100 free relay.
Saturday morning’s schedule will even embrace prelims for the ladies’s 100 fly, males’s 50 fly, males’s 100 breast, and girls’s 200 IM. Medal rounds for these occasions will come on Sunday night time (Budapest time).
Day 1 Morning Occasions:
- Ladies’s 200 IM – Prelims
- Males’s 400 free – Prelims
- Ladies’s 100 fly – Prelims
- Males’s 50 fly – Prelims
- Ladies’s 400 free – Prelims
- Males’s 100 breast – Prelims
- Males’s 400 IM – Prelims
- Ladies’s 4 × 100 free relay – Prelims
- Males’s 4 × 100 free relay – Prelims
Two of the seven particular person occasions have a world file holder racing – sixth-seeded Hungarian Katinka Hosszu within the ladies’s 200 IM and fifth-seeded Ukrainian Andriy Govorov within the males’s 50 fly.
The relays are additionally headlined by an Australian ladies’s 4 × 100 free staff that broke the world file final summer season in Tokyo, however just one swimmer from that squad – Meg Harris – is competing in Budapest.
Day 1 Morning Session’s High Storylines to Comply with:
- After dominating the 200 IM at main worldwide meets from 2013-19, Katinka Hosszu‘s reign got here to an finish final summer season in Tokyo, the place she positioned seventh effectively off her world file tempo. The battle for the throne figures to be a two-way tilt between a pair of 20-year-olds, College of Virginia sophomore Alex Walsh and Australian phenom Kaylee McKeown. Walsh will be the extra inexperienced of the 2, however her 2: 07.84 from April’s US trials ranks because the quickest time on the planet this yr – greater than a second quicker than McKeown’s 2: 09.15 from Australian trials that was a couple of second off her lifetime finest.
- High-seeded German Lukas Martens appears to be like to proceed momentum within the males’s 400 free after an electrical spring that noticed him clock a 3: 41.60 on the Stockholm Open, greater than three seconds quicker than his earlier finest. That point makes him the Eighth-fastest performer of all time, and the quickest since 2017. Martens’ fundamental challengers are anticipated to be Elijah Winnington – whose 3: 43.10 from Australian trials was .55 seconds slower than his entry time – and fellow German Hennig Bennet Muhlleitner. Shock Olympic gold medalist Ahmed Hafnaoui was absent from the psych sheet launched Thursday.
- Even after a pair late scratches from Kyle Chalmers and Christoph Milak, the lads’s 50 fly nonetheless encompasses a star-studded solid. There is a lengthy course world file holder Andriy Govorovco-short course world file holders Nicholas Santos and Szebasztian Szabo, and the final three lengthy course world champions: Caeleb Dressel (2019), I am Proud (2017), and Florent Manaudou (2015). And that is with out mentioning Michael Andrewwho was simply .03 seconds behind Dressel at US trials.
- Katie Ledecky is the heavy favourite within the ladies’s 400 free after Ariarne Titmus opted to not make the journey to Budapest. However Titmus’ new world file of three: 56.40 from Australian trials may simply function motivation for Ledecky to push herself even when she’s means forward of a area that features rising Canadian star Summer season McIntosh.
- 26-year-old Dutchman Arno Kamminga seems poised to choose up his first lengthy course Worlds gold medal within the males’s 100 breast following final month’s withdrawal of 27-year-old Brit Adam Peaty. The Olympic reigning and world champion and world file holder within the occasion, Peaty is sitting out of the World Championships whereas recovering from a fractured bone in his foot. Michael Andrew may very well be Kamminga’s closest competitors with an entry time of 58.14 simply .34 seconds off the highest seed.
- The boys’s 400 IM contains reigning Olympic gold medalist Chase Kalisz and defending world champion Daiya Setohowever a brand new champion may very well be topped if Carson Foster can pull off an enormous swim at his first lengthy course Worlds.
- Within the males’s 4 × 100 free relay, the People try to proceed a stretch of dominance that dates again to the 2016 Olympics. In Tokyo, they clocked at 3: 08.97, the quickest time in 13 years and greater than a second forward of the 2nd-place Italians (3: 10.11). Though Caeleb Dressel is the one member of the gold-medal-winning quartet from Tokyo racing in Budapest (Brooks Curry swam on the prelims relay), the squad’s mixture time of season-best flat begins is greater than a second quicker than Italy, the staff with the next-fastest time.